Penn Central Engineering is currently accepting applications for a structural designer to join our growing firm. The ideal candidate will possess a thorough background of structural theory and design principles as well as a demonstrated ability to produce accurate construction documents.
- Primary duties include the following:
- Design and detail structural components/systems of varying complexity made of steel, concrete, masonry, and wood materials.
- Design foundations and retaining walls based on reaction data and geotechnical information.
- Develop construction documents including plans and specifications. Generate plans, sections, and details using AutoCAD® and/or Revit® software.
- Prepare structural calculations using design software, spreadsheets, and hand computations. Perform peer review of structural calculations.
- Perform field evaluation of building systems and components, document existing conditions, and prepare condition evaluation reports. Read and interpret existing plans. Categorize and quantify structural deficiencies.
- Review shop drawings and evaluate submittal data based on performance criteria.
- Research and interpret building codes and other regulatory documents.
- Interact with clients and contractors in the field. Prepare written technical reports and correspondence.
- Perform quantity takeoffs and develop construction cost estimates.
- Candidate Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major studies in structural engineering.
- Two-to-five years of progressive design experience.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification with ability to sit for the PE Exam.
- Must be able to work outdoors and on construction sites in all kinds of weather, climb ladders, walk long distances, enter/work in confined spaces, and climb/ work at heights.
- Background checks for working in schools/universities.
- Valid PA driver's license and vehicle required.
- Occasional overnight travel required.
Please respond with resume and salary requirements.
PCE is an equal opportunity employer.